The Armadale Road to North Lake Road Bridge project is funded by the Commonwealth and State Governments as part of a $2.3 billion investment in road and rail infrastructure, announced by Premier Mark McGowan on 7 May 2017.
The project comprises construction of a bridge over Kwinana Freeway connecting Armadale Road to North Lake Road and construction of free flowing regional traffic lanes on Armadale Road through the Solomon Road and Tapper Road intersections. Full connectivity will be retained at the intersections of Solomon Road and Tapper Road through grade separated roundabouts.
The project will help address significant congestion in the Cockburn Central area resulting from the growth of Cockburn Gateway Shopping Centre, surrounding commercial, retail and residential development and the area’s proximity to Cockburn Central Station and Kwinana Freeway.
Scope of works:
- Construction of a bridge over Kwinana Freeway.
- Grade separated intersections between Armadale Road and Solomon and Tapper Roads.
- North-facing on/off ramps and two lane collector distributor roads on both sides of the Kwinana Freeway from Berrigan Drive to Armadale Road.
- Modifications to the existing North Lake Road / Midgegooroo Avenue signalised intersection.
- Two lanes in each direction for free flowing regional traffic from west of the Armadale Road / Solomon Road intersection to east of the Armadale Road / Tapper Road intersection.
- Two lane collector distributor roads adjacent to the regional traffic lanes between Armadale Road / Solomon Road intersection and the Armadale Road / Tapper Road intersection.
- Provide a direct link between Armadale and North Lake Road, bypassing congestion at Cockburn Central Station and the Cockburn Gateway shopping centre.
- Improved access to Kwinana Freeway to and from the north.
- Easier access to Cockburn Central Station.
- Support residential and commercial expansion in Cockburn and Armadale.
- Complement other significant road improvements in the Southern Metropolitan Corridor including Kwinana Freeway Northbound Widening, Armadale Road Upgrade and Murdoch Drive Connection.
For more information, visit the Mainroads website by clicking here.