- 1kg braising cut beef, keep in large pieces (approx. 250g
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 onion, diced finely
- 1 carrot, diced finely
- 1 large stick celery, diced finely
- 2 cans (800g) crushed canned tomatoes
- 140g tomato paste
- 2 stock cubes
- 1cup red wine or beef stock
- 1tsp thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 star anise
- 4 dried chillies
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 500g rigatoni
- parmesan cheese
- chilli flakes
- fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat oil in pan to a high heat, then season beef and sear on all sides until brown. Remove from pan.
- Turn heat down, add more oil the pan, then add garlic and onion. Cook on a low heat for 1-2 minutes then add carrots and celery. Cook for another few minutes.
- Place the beef, juices and all other ingredients in a large pot. If necessary, add water to ensure the beef is just covered.
- Bring to a simmer, then turn heat to low until just bubbling. Cook for 2-3 hours until beef is tender.
- Once the beef is tender, remove and shred using forks. Then, return shredded beef back to the pot and continue to simmer for approx. 30 minutes (or until sauce thickens).
- Cook pasta 1-2 minutes short of instructions, then add some of the Ragu sauce to a pan and heat over high heat. When the pasta is almost ready, transfer directly into the pan.
- Toss together until pasta is fully coated, adding more sauce/pasta water as required.
- To serve, sprinkle with chilli flakes (optional), fresh parsley and grated parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Featured recipe by Derek Lau, ‘Masterchef ’Series 11 Network Ten 2020