Cool, dry winters can play with our skin, read these top tips to keep your skin hydrated and glowing:
- Keep the moisture you have. The natural oils your skin produces also help protect it and keep it healthy. It's a good idea to avoid long baths and showers and use warm not hot water. After bathing or showering pat dry and moisturize your damp skin.
- Add moisture from the inside out. Increasing your water intake will help hydrate your skin.
- Don't forget sunscreen. Just because it's cold outside doesn't mean the sun isn't affecting your skin. Don't skip the SPF!
- Moisturize your skin thoroughly. Switch to an oil-based moisturizer in the winter; your skin will appreciate it. Consider overnight deep moisturizer treatments which can help particularly dry areas like hands, feet, elbows, knees, and lips. Click here to view beauty stores & salons at Cockburn Gateway.
- Switch your cleanser. It's a good idea to trade in your current body wash for a more moisturizing hydrating cleanser in winter particularly if your usual choice contains drying ingredients like glycolic or salicylic acid. Tone and moisturize within 30 seconds of finishing cleansing to avoid further dehydration.
- Take extra care. Winter skin is more fragile so if you have a skin condition like eczema or psoriasis be sure to avoid any irritants or allergens that you know flare your condition!
Product pictured: Dermalogica range available from Belen Gateway Skin Clinic.