Set the slow cooker and come home to this hearty chicken soup. It is loaded with healthy vegetables and leftovers can be eaten the next day for lunch!
You'll find everything you need in the Fresh Food Precinct at Cockburn Gateway:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into 2cm piece
- 2 celery sticks, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 350g sweet potato, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 (about 370g) parsnips, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 3/4 cup fresh continental parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 lemons, rind finely grated, juiced
- 60g baby spinach
- Crusty wholegrain bread, to serve (optional)
- 1.8kg whole organic or free-range chicken
- 1 brown onion, halved
- 1 carrot, halved
- 1 celery stick, halved
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 4 fresh continental parsley sprigs
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1L (4 cups) Massel salt reduced chicken style liquid stock
- To make soup base, place all soup ingredients
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook leek, onion, carrot, celery and garlic for 10-12 minutes or until softened.
- Transfer leek mixture to slow cooker. Cook, covered, for 2 1 ⁄2 hours. Add sweet potato and parsnip. Cover. Cook for a further 30 minutes or until chicken is very tender and falling off the bone.
- Transfer chicken to a bowl. Use tongs to remove and discard halved onion, carrot and celery, bay leaves and parsley sprigs. Shred chicken, discarding skin and bones. Return to the bowl. Cover to keep warm.
- Add the zucchini and chopped parsley to the slow cooker. Cook, covered, for 30-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in chicken, lemon rind and juice. Season. Cover. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in spinach. Serve with bread, if using.
Original recipe by Taste.com.